Through a rather strange set of circumstances, I found out two ladies, neither of which I knew especially well, passed away this week. The first was a neighbour of ours whom I met up at the elementary school because our daughters were in the same class and went to brownies together. I had no idea at the time that she was ill, and it wasn't until recently that I found out from the neighbourhood grapevine that she was dealing with cancer. I thought about her often as I drove by her house but never saw her out and about. I often wondered how children so young deal with such a horrible situation. When her and her husband made a trip to the states for medical treatment it became quite clear that they were desperate for miracle. Today I found out that she did indeed pass away ... last Friday. It now becomes so much more clear why our street was packed with vehicles. I'm so sad that a vibrant woman ... a mother ... will not be around to help those beautiful girls grow up, deal with boys, see them graduate or get married. All those things that you expect you will get to do once you become a mom ....none of which is in fact guaranteed. I guess that is a good reminder for the rest of us ....life is fragile and to live each minute because it can be cut short much too soon.
And if that wasn't enough, as I was looking up her obituary to find out more, I come across the name of a great aunt of mine. She passed away on Sunday at the age of 92. I had met her a few times, taken her out to lunch and she had welcomed me in. Mom and I had talked about her only a few weeks ago, wondering how she was doing. Weird. Another link to our family and past gone. She had no children so it feels strange not having anyone to write to, to express my condolences.
With my cousin Gary's passing on Dec 26th, I'm feeling a bit raw with emotion right now. I'm hoping that it won't be long before I can think of these people and smile, remembering good things, rather than the tearing up and feeling of sadness that currently fills my heart.
1 comment:
Michelle, so sorry to hear your sad news. It seems that these type of events always happen around the holidays. It is a poignant reminder to us that life can be very unpredictable. Hold close your loved ones. Kiss your beautiful daughters a little more and live your life with happiness and love. I'm sending a hug your way.
Post a Comment