
What a day this November 4th has been. I'm probably one of the most a-political people around but I wasn't immune to the events going on south of the border. I've found myself drawn in by the goings on and campaigning that has gone on for the past 21 months (seems like forever at times) - never has a Canadian election had this impact on me. As Mitch and I sat watching Barak Obama give his acceptance speech I was overwhelmed by emotion ..... you just know you are watching history being made. An African-American being President is historic .... and gives me a sense of such hope for the future. In such unsettled times, this voice of hope and change is so powerful, especially over the past few months as the credit crisis in the states exploded. I don't envy his path as I suspect it will be a difficult one, but I'm so grateful that the American people stepped forward and voted not based on party lines, but for the good of the country. I was astounded that in some states over 80% of eligible voters actually voted! They were standing in lines for hours just to vote ..... I can't imagine this EVER happening in Canadian politics. I think our last election had under 35% voting - a disgrace as far as I'm concerned. With the current situation politically, economically and internationally for the USA in such disarray, I can only hope that this man can bring the people together and motivate them to work together. Their influence on us here in Canada and the world is so far reaching that the rest of the world had also voted for hope too. When I think back on 2008 with all of its ups and downs, I will remember this day. "Yes we can!"
No comments:
Post a Comment