Sunday, April 5, 2009

And it was good .....

What a fantastic day to be on the slopes. All the ski hills in the area have more snow than they've had all season but next weekend is the final weekend of the season. With clear skies .... and nothing else planned, the girls and I headed up to Seymour mountain for our last hurrah. I had decided to go here as Alex had a free pass and it was cheaper for Tessa and I at this mountain than any of others. As we were getting our gear on, I ran into a teacher friend of mine, Jeff Sheehan, whom I hadn't seen for years. He was there dropping his son off and let me know that there was a good chance I'd be teaching him next year! It was really great to see him.

It was definitely a great day of spring skiing! With it being so clear we were able to see across the strait to Vancouver Island and east to the mountains - it was really spectacular. The morning wasn't too crowded so we were able to get quite a few runs in before breaking for lunch. All the chairs here are doubles, so after a few runs, the girls opted to go up together .... freedom! The third chair was out of commission so everyone was crowded on to the two remaining chairs. After lunch the lift lines were really long on the Mystery Peak chair and so we opted to skiing the Lodge chair. The girls were amazed at how short the bunny hill was - compared to their very first day on skis a few years ago. They were also able to manage the rope tow, first try! I can't remember how many attempts we made back on that first day.

It has been a great season of skiing for the Burton bunch, but I think we are now all ready for spring. The skiis are now put away and the ski rack is off the car. We are now ready for some camping! (First weekend is already booked at Alice Lake!)


No comments: